Typical Group Matwork Class Format
Class duration: 60 minutes
I teach mixed ability classes (unless otherwise stated) where clients are encouraged to work and progress at their own level and pace; there are always alternatives to the more demanding exercises.
Exercises are performed in exercise clothing, barefoot (or in socks) on a mat, standing or using a wall. I supply the mats and commonly use small equipment (or props) to enhance feedback or create more challenge:
- Half foam roller (D-roll)
- Toning circles
- Exercise bands
- soft balls
- prickle balls
- tennis balls
Exercises are performed slowly with mind and body control – giving time to improve movement skill and accuracy, ensuring the movements (and stretches) are safe and appropriate and developing the strength and stamina of the body's stabilising muscles.
- Body warm-up – dynamic stretches (using movement to stretch)
- Breathing awareness and skill
- Postural awareness / alignment – spinal alignment and comfort
- Movement education, techniques, skill and co-ordination
- Anatomy and movement basics and principles
- Abdominal muscle awareness and training (Core)
- Relaxation awareness and techniques
- Myofascial release techniques (self-treatment)
- Balance training
- Spinal movements ('segmental control' – getting the spine to move where it finds movement hard)
- Abdominal muscle strength and stamina development
- Classical Pilates repertoire
- Developing sequencing and flow (short routines of exercises)
- Upper body strengthening
- Leg and hip and buttock tone and strength.
- Body and movement awareness development – 'multi-tasking'.
- Progressive stretches
- Challenging but relaxing spinal movements
- Hip release