Mark Thistlewood Pilates
Intelligent Exercise for All-Round Health and Fitness
Offering matwork Pilates in North Dorset
- Group matwork classes
- One-to-one tuition (home visits)
Current matwork class venues
- Durweston (Blandford)
- Holtwood (Wimborne)
- Okeford Fitzpaine (Child Okeford, Shillingstone, Sturminster Newton)
- Fontmell Magna (Shaftesbury, Iwerne Minster)
- Tarrant Valley
New village hall for Tarrant Hinton!
Congratulations to Tarrant Hinton on the opening of their brand new hall - I have transferred my morning classes to this venue where we will be able to enjoy this warm, clean, modern space! All my Thursday Pilates teaching will now be here.
As our life-expectancy increases, we need to look after our bodies and remain as mobile and capable of going about our day-to-day lives as possible: Pilates is the perfect exercise regime for this!
I offer Pilates Matwork exercise either in classes of 12 maximum, smaller private groups or individual attention.
Rather than 'gentle' as Pilates is often described, I prefer to say it offers a vast repertoire of controlled movements, some of which are very subtle – all of which challenge mind and body either in terms of physical demand or movement skill. Pilates is a movement exercise method that is learnt rather than 'done'. It is low-impact (kinder to our joints) and non-aerobic. Movements are performed slowly so that we can improve accuracy and control, leading to a 'quiet strength' rather than muscle-bound, and to great improvements in flexibility and spinal comfort. In a typical group class I aim to take the body's joints through a myriad of movement planes.
I pay particular attention to:
- helping the spine move better, helping reduce lower back pain;
- to regaining full mobility of the shoulder girdle (very relevant to 'frozen shoulder' clients) through an exercise repertoire and self-help techniques
- relaxation skills and self-help through breathing techniques and body awareness.
- Helping the body become more robust and less prone to injury (Core and upper body strength).
- Improving balance – not just when standing, but in many of the matwork exercise positions.
- Ensuring the class is fun, demanding and flies by!