Mark Thistlewood Pilates
Intelligent Exercise for All-Round Health and Fitness
Offering matwork Pilates in North Dorset
- Group matwork classes
- One-to-one tuition (home visits)
Current matwork class venues
- Durweston (Blandford)
- Holtwood (Wimborne)
- Okeford Fitzpaine (Child Okeford, Shillingstone, Sturminster Newton)
- Tarrant Valley
I am excited to announce my re-commencement of hall classes from June 7. Quite a lot has changed during the pandemic period so please read the schedule carefully as there are changes from what you may be used to.
The venues I use are clean and warm with easy parking. Both Holtwood and Tarrant Hinton have under floor heating while Durweston and Okeford Fitzpaine have radiators. I have a long-established good working relationship with all my hall administrators so any issues are easily rectified.
As our life-expectancy increases, we need to look after our bodies and remain as mobile and capable of going about our day-to-day lives as possible: Pilates is the perfect exercise regime for this!
I offer Pilates Matwork exercise either in classes of 12 maximum, smaller private groups or individual attention.
Rather than 'gentle' as Pilates is often described, I prefer to say it offers a vast repertoire of controlled movements, some of which are very subtle – all of which challenge mind and body either in terms of physical demand or movement skill. Pilates is a movement exercise method that is learnt rather than 'done'. It is low-impact (kinder to our joints) and non-aerobic. Movements are performed slowly so that we can improve accuracy and control, leading to a 'quiet strength' rather than muscle-bound, and to great improvements in flexibility and spinal comfort. In a typical group class I aim to take the body's joints through a myriad of movement planes.
I pay particular attention to:
- helping the spine move better, helping reduce lower back pain;
- to regaining full mobility of the shoulder girdle (very relevant to 'frozen shoulder' clients) through an exercise repertoire and self-help techniques
- relaxation skills and self-help through breathing techniques and body awareness.
- Helping the body become more robust and less prone to injury (Core and upper body strength).
- Improving balance – not just when standing, but in many of the matwork exercise positions.
- Ensuring the class is fun, demanding and flies by!